Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Eight Miles High



Acid is a strange drug. Everything you've heard about acid is absolutely true, and it's true because everyone trips in their own way. Acid lowers the perceptual filters of your brain, but it lowers different ones to different levels for different people. 
The first time I tripped was almost unknowingly. I was at a friend's house and the five of us had been talking about dropping some acid. Unbeknownst to me, JD had put a couple of drops in my drink. It sounds very rape-y when I write it down, but he'd tripped before, and he thought it would be more interesting for me if I didn't expect it. 

For what I judge would have been about a half hour or so, nothing happened. We sat around, listened to some new music that one of my friends had recorded, and talked about it. Soon, I started to feel a slight body high, like being slightly tipsy or having like the slight buzz from the first two tokes of a joint. I was drinking just plain coke that night, and smoking classics, so I thought it was a little weird. I told my friends as much, and JD said 'ust you wait. You're going to love it.' and I realized what he'd done. JD had taking a dose before me, and Candy, Slash and ANM took a dose each soon after. We decided we wanted to go to the park, so we got up and left.

On the way to the park, it was beginning to hit me. The first thing I noticed was that my shoelaces were moving on their own. I nudged Slash, and pointed as my shoes and he looked at me weirdly. By that time, the shoelaces were changing color too. I nudged Slash again, and he laughed. 'It's started', he said. 

'Oh, holy shit', I remember thinking to myself, 'This is really happening'.

We got to the park soon and sat down, facing the pond. Candy had a guitar, and he was idly strumming it. No chords, nothing, just running his fingers up and down the strings. He wasn't tripping yet, that was obvious, but he wasn't all there. 

I was just sitting there, watching the water. Some of the ripples would rise up to about four feet high, and suddenly disappear. The water would split into two, and take on different colours. It would swirl like a whirlpool and suddenly stop. I took my shoes and socks off and decided to put my feet in the water, ignoring the fact that it wasn't the cleanest of ponds.

I dipped a toe in and suddenly, the water bit me. I backed away and crouched on the floor for a while. Slowly, I calmed down; the wind was in my hair, and I felt hands caressing my cheeks. I got up and started walking around. The grass felt wonderful between my toes. I felt ticklish, but in a good way. I stood where the grass was highest, where it was reaching my ankles, and I dug my toes into the sand. I started feeling like I was going to dissolve into the earth, but in a good way. Slash came and stood next to me. I said 'I can feel the grass, Slash. Can you?'. He said 'I don't know. Listen to the wind'. So I listened to the wind. That was the most unreal part. It sounded like music. I couldn't put a finger on it then, but now, when I think about it, it was like a very slow, Chopin waltz. Something in C sharp. 

'The wind is beautiful,' I said, and I said it again, and again and again for the next half an hour or so. We talked about the beauty of nature and how we wanted to be a part of the grass, and dive into the earth and live in a garden under the surface and love the soil and the plants and the animals and how we'd ride fish and sing with the deer and have a family of rabbits. That's almost exactly how our thoughts went, from one topic to another, not really needing a connection, just letting out imaginations run wild. 

Slash took out a cigarette and it looked bigger than his head. The word 'Classic' around the filter looks huge, and then, tiny and then, all different shapes. When he lit it, the smoke started forming letters in the air. They didn't form any words, it was just a Y here and a J there are a B in the middle and so on.

JD was starting to come down, so he suggested we go back to the house. So we started walking back; I was still barefoot. We walked on the pavement, and I could feel the rocks under my feet and I thought I was going to die. I cried and I cried and I told my friends to leave me and carry on, to save themselves.

JD picked me up and carried me piggyback the rest of the way. I felt like I was flying. For a second there, I thought I actually could fly, and I let go of JD. He caught me just in time, or I would have fallen on to the road.

We got to JD's house, and we got in the elevator. Someone pressed five, which was the number floor JD lived on. The little screen on top of the board showed a red 5, and it grew till it was as big as my hand, and it caught flames and soon, the whole ceiling of the elevator was aflame and we were all screaming, even JD, and my arms were around ANM and I could feel her fingernails digging into my skin and Candy was crying and suddenly, the elevator door opened and we tumbled out. We couldn't have been in that elevator for more than about 40 seconds, but it felt like an hour. 

Anyway, we made our way into JD's house, and sat down in his room, and turned on the tv. Guns n Roses was on VH1. Patience was playing, and the lyrics were all skewed. Axl was talking to ANM, and she was talking back. For a moment, he looked right into my eyes. I didn't know how to feel. 

So I just sat there, and watched Axl sing to ANM. After about two more songs, things started to look a little more real. The comedown was like any other comedown - slightly disappointing. But unlike any other comedown, it was also slightly relieving.

Acid makes your mind do push-ups, and mine had been doing one handed ones with a 50 pound weight on my back. 

I dropped acid a few more times after that, each time stranger than the next. Why did I stop? Life moved on. I wasn't going to sit back in an LSD haze and watch it go by. About a year later, I dropped acid again, with a different friend. It was different, strange in a strange way. Would I take acid again? Now that I have so many hallucinations I'm always trying to prove to myself are fake, I don't really feel the need for more. Would I suggest you take it? Absolutely. Acid is a strange drug, and what is life without strangeness?


0 sympathized: