Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jimmy Says It's Better Thaa-aa-aan Air


I don't love to smoke, nor do I crave cigarettes. I'm not addicted, but sometimes, I like being alone with a cigarette.

I can see the highway from my balcony. Trucks trundle past, bathed in the orange light. When I'm not wearing my glasses, they look like orbs of orange, floating away into the distance.

Tonight, the air smells like rain. Lightening lights up the sky every so often. 

I have Green Day and Pearl Jam playing, but only the slower songs.

I have a cigarette with a tiny filter. The ones with the small filters are smooth like you wouldn't believe. I almost don't even feel the smoke going down my throat, except for the woody taste. So here I stand, mouth open, lungs full, for a moment. As I exhale, and watch the steady stream of smoke escape into the night, I feel the light-headed nicotine rush you only get once in a while. The smoke is orange in the faint light of the streetlamp. The ash-y smell tastes like so many nights before.

Sometimes, you have to just exist. Let everything go. Stop thinking. Stop caring.

Just be.

Out of body and out of mind
Kiss the demons out of my dreams
I get the funny feeling, that’s alright
Jimmy says its better than air

0 sympathized: